Sunday, March 29, 2015

How to choose a Planners | Part 1

*This is a super long post, I'm going to split it into 3-4 posts. Click on this link for all the post *


On a recent PRT (Paperclipping Roundtable) episode, they discuss on the recent Paper Planners trend. And I got very inspired to share on this topic. [Click on each picture to go to the respective website]



It took me a long time to settle down with a planner that I like, and use it often enough to justify my spendings. I'm no expert in choosing a good planner as i'm still choosing and learning, but I figured I can share somethings that I learn during my choosing process and while i'm doing my own research.

My general advice is that, you have to use it often enough to know when something is missing, and when you realise you are missing something, don't just make do with what ever that is available, you have to jot it down somewhere to remind yourself that . And over time, when you look for another planner, find one that have that missing element and adapt from there again. I used to use a normal cute notebook on a spiral bound, then I get exposed to the binder system, which I totally fall in love with because it's not only aesthetic pleasing but most importantly it's very customisable.

Consider the price 
Mine was 50usd which turns out to about 70sgd from Amazon . The printable files that i used (more on it in the next section) are approx 15USD and i printed using normal 80msg papers and HP printer . Including the inks and etc, I guess my planner is easily SGD100. Currently it is working so well for me that it makes me want to go to work,  just to fill my planners with the to do list first thing in the morning.

The type of material - I don't use leather products, so that eliminates alot of options for me easily. I'm currently using faux leather Filofax Domino A5 for my work, and personal filofax - Patent Personal Compact Duck Egg (a minty blue color) for personal use.




Do you need it to be portable?
My portable planner is the compact sized one and it's super light weight. But it does not fill many pages. I use this for my personal planning, mainly for scrapbook projects and other leisure activities.

On the other hand, I my A5 planner is huge and not that portable, but it is so thick that i can stuff ALOT OF THINGS inside. It is also larger in size, so each page provides me with more space to write on. Since I always set it on my work desk in my office (And I seldom bring work home), it is totally find to be huge and bulky. If you drive, that is not an issue either . I only bring it home say once every 2 weeks over the weekends to plan ahead if needed.

Next post - Your Intentions 
So what do you want to use it for? Each individuals have different ways of using it. Give it a thought and I shall continue the sharing in the next post :)

No comments: